Friday, July 2, 2010

Light, Heavy, or Same type

Okay this is the last post before I start going into rating specific shell types. One thing for you to consider when going out to buy shells for your hermit crabs is what type the hermit crab is wearing. Sometimes hermit crabs can be picky and like a certain type of shell so if your hermit crab came in a green turbo shell you should consider getting one of those shells for your crab, but don't go overboard and get only that type of shell. I like to offer a wide variety of shells for my hermit crabs and on average each hermit crab I own has a selection of seven shells for it to chose from that are slightly larger then their current shells. But as a guideline for a minimum shells to be offered for your hermit crabs I say 3 for small to large crabs and 2 for Jumbos. Another thing I'd like to add as a suggestion when buying shells is should you get lighter or heavier shells for your crabs. I was reading an article the other day which described how hermit crabs feel more protected(less stress) in heavier shells but the energy used caused the hermit crabs to grow less in a molt then a hermit crab wearing a light shell. So you can have a slow growing hermit crab that feels less stressed or a fast growing hermit crab that is more energetic. I chose to offer my hermit crabs as many shell types as I can so they can choose whether they'd like to feel more protected or energetic and grow at what ever pace they'd like.

No comments:

Post a Comment